Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Never Ending

I know that my last post was kinda blah. I’m trying really hard to remind myself that no matter how much I may explain this disease to someone who does not have it, they will never get it, never be able to understand the depths of monitoring myself it takes. Only another T1D (that actually takes care of themselves and there is even a difference between men and women because of all the ways that hormones affect things) can fully understand the emotional, physical, and mental toll it takes. Even on a good day there are the thoughts like not wanting to eat when I see a good BG because I don’t want to mess it up.  I’ve mentioned all the reading I’m doing, well it’s because I want to be able to have a baby some day and trying to get myself to that point is a whole lot of work. There, I said it. There are fears for any first time mom, but add diabetes, especially pre-existing, and it’s downright scary. I’m not reading a bunch of horror stories but the cold hard facts that I need to be aware of. Like the book that I just started, (because you can never be too prepared ahead of time) “Balancing Pregnancy With Pre-Existing Diabetes." It’s really good, but really overwhelming. She is a T1D that has had a healthy pregnancy and baby and done her research and interviewed a lot of others that have been through it, as well as doctors. She is very encouraging that it is possible with lots of very hard work and discipline. She also tells the facts. I know a lot of the risks with having high BG and how that affects a baby's development in the womb, not just being large, but causing birth defects. But low BG can slow development. Therefore staying within 90-100 while pregnant is key. Being below 86 a lot slows the development. It's impossible to stay on target at all times. Until there is a cure, because insulin is NOT a cure, up and down we will go. I talked to my CDE Debbie today. I  copied the email she sent me. Things like this make me feel validated. It's too easy to think that I'm taking "D" too seriously when I have no one else who can relate.


"Jessi,
You will see cyclic changes in BG premenstrual when progesterone levels are high and BG will run higher. Likewise,when your period starts, some women have lower BG the first days of menses. This is a great time for temp basal when some women will decrease basal to 90% the frist 48 hours of period or some, even the day before as cycle gets more predictable.
You will begin to see these changes and know they are happening when your are cycling regularly.
So much to learn with diabetes and your health but you're getting lots of info.
Increase basal at 8 am to .6 and follow up weekly."


On another note next week is diabetes blog week within the diabetes online community. I'm excited about that. More on that to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment