Friday, May 16, 2014

Hot Hot Heat!!!

Our first few days of vacation we didn't need to worry about the heat.  It was cooler than we expected and we spent the days at an elevated level hiking in the mountains where it was cooler and windy. I already wrote about my lows from those days in my last post.  Due to those days I didn't think about the heat in the car yesterday where I kept my insulin in my purse while hiking Valley Of Fire National park in the morning or the fact that I could be hitting the beginning stages of insulin resistance the last couple of days of vacation. I'm thinking it's a combination of both that I delt with last night into today.  We headed back to where we were staying about 1:00 or so in the afternoon. I was dealing with lows off and on from then until about 6pm. During that time I also developed an awful head ache from the heat and sun and car sickness from the 1 1/2 drive.  I went to bed at 2:30 in the afternoon because of these symptoms. My last awful low was about 5pm and then I started to climb.  After that I spent the next 12 hours between 220 and 395 and would not come down.  I was amazed how I was able to stay in bed from 2:30pm yesterday to 8:00 this morning with maybe getting up for a little over an hour to eat dinner last night. Of course high bgs can do that for me.  It's was finally at about 6 this morning that it occurred to me that my insulin was probably not at its optimal use.  Then after still changing it then it's only been the last couple hours that I've finally dropped below 150. Live and learn right?  Each day is another day to experience a lesson with my body,  sometimes scary,  sometimes I feel like I am the strongest person I know and I reward myself with a sweet treat.  Others days I feel totally defeated and like I must be missing something and the guilt piles on.  But I'm thankful for the opportunity for this vacation,  it's given me the umph I've needed to face every day life again and I've gotten to conquer some pretty big cliffs literally that have encouraged me to press on and conquer my daily challenges.  I also really want to look into our next vacation being a hiking/mountain vacation.  It's reminded me how beautiful life really is and that as scary add it can be,  that the Lord is in control and that He's got this.  No matter the out come, it'll be okay.  Now if only I can remember that on a daily basis.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment