Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Summer Time Recipe: Fish Tacos


I absolutely love summer! I don’t know if there is really a single thing that I don’t love about it. Even the heat I will take over the cold. I love the fun things to do around town, the food, the weather, gardening, flowers, bbq, pools, fishing, eating, going to restaurant and sitting on the patio. It doesn’t sound like I like food at all do I? Well I do and the summer foods are so great. Between the grilling and fresh produce from our own garden or the farmers market what’s not to love?!

One of my favorite summer time meals to make is a fish taco recipe that I found on Pinterest that I have made my own. Last night I made these and I think I finally made the recipe my own with the tweaking and adding and removing items that I like don’t like over the last few times I have made them. I wish I had a beautiful picture to share, but alas… I couldn’t really get a good enough picture that I thought would be good to share.  Now that I have nailed this down I think these were the best yet and too good for me not to share! If you make them I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

 
Fish tacos

Serves 2 at 2 tacos each

Carb count is basically whatever the tortilla package says and I add about 2 carbs per taco for the honey and I’ve personally not had an issue with a spike or drop.

 
Marinade
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 tablespoons water
1 Lime for juice and zest
1 1/2 teaspoons honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon blackened seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 pieces tilapia fillets, cut into chunks

Dressing
1 (8 ounce) light sour cream or plain free Greek yogurt
1/
4 cup adobo
1/4 cup hot sauce
Juice and zest from 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin
1 handful dried cilantro
1/2 teaspoon blackened seasoning, salt and pepper to taste

Toppings
Tortillas
Plane no dressing bagged slaw (I like to use broccoli slaw) or small head of shredded cabbage
Handful or so of fresh cilantro or half cup of dried cilantro

Shredded cheddar cheese
Salsa
Avocado

 

Directions

To make the marinade, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, lime zest, honey, garlic, chili powder, blackened seasoning and black pepper in a bowl. Place the tilapia in a shallow dish, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.


To make the dressing, combine the sour cream or Greek yogurt and adobo/hot sauce in a bowl. Stir in the lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, and blackened seasoning. Add salt, and pepper in desired amounts. In a separate dish combine your desired amount of slaw and dressing and mix well. Cover, and refrigerate slaw and
leftover dressing until needed. (Note: dressing may taste pretty hot on its own or mixed with the slaw/cabbage but once it’s on the taco between the fish, tortilla, toppings and everything it’s just right.)

 

To cook fish:  Remove fish from marinade and pour marinade into stove top skillet on medium high heat. Oil from marinade will coat the pan enough to keep the fish from sticking to the pan. Place fish in pan and cook fish pieces until easily flaked with a fork, turning once, about 6-8 minutes depending on how thick your fish is. Assemble tacos by placing fish pieces in the center of tortillas with desired amounts of cheese, avocado, salsa, cilantro, slaw mixture; drizzle with additional dressing if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Yum, this sounds so good!! My husband loves fish tacos so I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! You'll have to let me know how they turn out or if I missed something when writing out the recipe.

      Delete
  2. this sounds so, so good! I love fish tacos but have made some real duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes! Me too! First time I made them way too spicy. If you do get to make these I hope they are a winner! :)

      Delete