Thursday, December 26, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls & Hash Browns

Talk about diabetes having a mind of its own and making no sense whatsoever! That would be this last Christmas weekend.

We went out of town to visit family over the weekend and came back on Monday. Saturday and Sunday mornings there were homemade cinnamon rolls that I just couldn’t resist. I had one each morning. I had no way of knowing how many carbs were in each or how many units of insulin to give so I just guessed. You know what happened? NOTHING!!! I was fine! I had no crazy highs or lows at all from the cinnamon rolls or anything else I ate. I think I had one low and a short time of being high after going out to eat one night, but overall that’s not bad.  Yippee, yay for me!

 Then we come home…………

 Christmas eve morning I had a breakfast of scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, an orange and coffee. No crazy sweets whatsoever. I counted my carbs correctly, I’ve eaten this countless time with no problems. But not this day. BAM!!! Shortly after eating I climbed, and climbed some more, and kept climbing until I got to about 290’s, and I couldn’t get down until late afternoon. I rage bolused, and bolused some more, and more, and just kept at it and would slowly drop and then go up a few points and then maybe drop a bit more to where I thought I was finally coming down from my high and then I’d plato and not drop anymore so I’d have to bolus again!!! By the time I was finally feeling better and getting to a happy BG place it was time to eat a big Italian Christmas meal and it all went to crap again. I stayed close to 300 all night until after I fell asleep. I evened out in the middle of the night and coasted along in the 150’s between 2am and waking up around 10am. Did I mention that I was feeling like I was coming down with a cold? Then again I’m really not sure if it’s that or if it’s my jacked up blood sugars are making me feel like I’m getting sick or if I’m really fighting something off. So Christmas morning we got up late because neither of us were feeling that great. I had an orange and not even a half a cup of coffee on our way to my uncle’s for family Christmas lunch and my BG went through the roof again. I started checking my bg like crazy and watching it climb and then bolusing to try and get things back down. We got to my uncle’s around noon, and it was closer to 1:00 maybe before everyone was ready to eat and guess what! I didn’t eat! Well, if you call eating salad eating then sure I ate. I sat there checking Dexie (my Dexcom CGM as I like to call her, brilliant I know.), munching on salad as my stomach was grumbling for mashed potatoes, chicken and dumplings and green bean casserole. This is the first time I’ve ever passed on eating a meal like this because my blood sugar was being a jerk. It seems like I’m getting more insulin resistant lately. Again, maybe all of this is because my body has been trying to fight something off on and off over the past month, I don’t know. But yesterday, Christmas day, it took close to two hours for my blood sugar to come down enough for me to feel comfortable enough to eat real food. I had even bolused for a high carb meal, therefore I had a little over 15 units of insulin in my system and it still took me close to two hours to come down. Thats a lot of insulin! Even when I did finally eat, I only ate a small portion because I was so frustrated that I would spike again.  If it hadn’t have been for the day before I probably would have ignored Dexie and expected things to even out faster. Today I think I’ve been prepared for being high because I’ve been going possibly over board with the amount of insulin.

 I have to say, as much as I may resent having the pump attached to me at all times, I’m loving the temp basal setting and I’ve been making good use of it a lot lately with the nasty highs.

No comments:

Post a Comment